A green lipped mussel supplement is a nutritional health supplement that is frequently utilized by people who are troubled with the symptoms of arthritis and joint dysfunctions, and who desire a natural treatment for their condition to avoid the side effects that can come from anti-inflammatory drugs.
These supplements are known for their ability to help get rid of the inflammation that is in large part causing the swelling and pain from these joint problems and arthritis. However, there is some important information that must be known about these supplements to ensure their benefits and effectiveness for treatment.
To begin with, here are two things that you want to know: (1) the supplement’s anti-inflammatory capabilities are dependent on the complete manufacturing process that took place from the time the live mussels were harvested to the finished supplement (2) that the supplement you take is what is known as a green lipped mussel powder supplement rather than a mussel oil supplement.
When a nutritional supplement is made it is critical that the manufacturing process does nothing that can possibly degrade or change the supplement nutrients from those of the food source; in this case we want to be sure that the mussel supplements retain the same essential nutrient profile as that of the raw mussels.
One of the main reasons that the nutrients lose their value in processing is from time delays or additional manufacturing steps – and any supplement like the green lipped mussel is extremely susceptible to this because it contains lipids and fatty acids that can quickly oxidize. Let’s look at these problems for how mussel supplements are typically made, along with why green lipped mussel powder is more effective than mussel oil.
The process of removing nutrients from the mussels leaves you with a nutrient extract, which is mussel powder or mussel oil. To get the mussel powder extract the nutrients are taken directly from the raw mussel. However, an additional step is needed to get mussel oil extract. Instead of being taken from the raw mussel, it is taken from the mussel powder after it was extracted, and you get far less of the nutrients – and as a result, the mussel oil only represents around 10% of the nutrients of the mussel powder, leaving you with a far less effective supplement.
So you know why you only want green lipped mussel powder supplements, but now you need to understand that there are still potential quietum plus steps and processes during manufacturing that keeps all powder supplements from being equally effective; here are some things that you need to be aware of:
· The best supplements begin with raw mussels that have just been harvested, and were alive at the beginning of the process.
· If you have any inclination that your supplements were made from frozen mussels, or used freezing or high heats during manufacturing, then these are supplements you want to stay away from – because these are steps that will degrade the anti-inflammatory properties, and thus decrease effectiveness.
· As mentioned above, the amount of time needed for the manufacturing process is directly related to the benefits of the supplements. The best supplements can be made in around 30 minutes, but many supplements are made over a period of days, and again a supplement you want to stay away from.
· Also discussed was the problem with oxidation, which is something that can happen very quickly, and again why speed of processing is so important.
· Oxidation is a further problem because of what supplement makers do to handle it, especially those who are taking the longer times. To keep oxidation from occurring and further preserve the efficacy of the nutrients, stabilizers and chemicals may be used, and these certainly would then keep the supplement from being considered 100% natural, and who knows what the health effect from these chemicals may be; you would want to stay away from those supplements too.
Does it sound difficult to find a good supplement, and even if you take the right type it still could have important issues that keep it from being beneficial? This is a big problem, and also one that often gives nutritional supplements a ‘bad name’, because so many are reported to not work. There are many supplement makers who ‘jump-on’ the current hype and market a supplement for it – but cut corners to reduce costs.
But the best nutritional supplements can work, and even be an alternative to drugs that are available for treating the same health problems – and yes, there are green lipped mussel powder supplements that are properly manufactured without out any of the concerns pointed out above, and can be effective as an anti-inflammatory for reducing excessive inflammation and for improving related conditions like joint problems and arthritis.